Here we go...

Leaving Boston in just about 7 hours now. We took Winchelsea out on Saturday, with great, calm weather. The engine started without much fuss, the sails were raised and despite the lack of wind, it all went very well with only a few minor things that needed attention. There were six of us: Maria, Christian, Hilary, Seth, Elena and myself. We anchored on the eastern side of Spectacle Island for lunch of chicken kabobs and veggie burgers. The anchor was probably the closest thing we had to a mishap; I let her drop and didn't count on the fact that the  momentum and weight of the chain would carry much more out than the simple depth alone. I grabbed the last 6 inches of the 100 feet of chain I had before it slipped over the bow. Below is a picture of the new mahogany pulpit, with the anchor, anchor roller and chain, as well as the mooring I'm currently on. Its a little dirty from all the mud, but you understand, right? The picture on the right is of a few brews in a bag I threw overboard to chill in the nice 40 degree harbor.


Not to sound dramatic or anything, but tomorrow is pretty significant for me. I would have been in Boston three years next week, and I'm leaving doing something I never could have predicted. I've learned to sail here, from the lessons on the Charles when I was an intern in 2006, taking more lessons in Chicago and Florida, sailing on the harbor for a couple of seasons, buying and living on a boat, quitting my desk job and embarking on a completely new career in a totally new city, with many more new places to come. To be flat honest, I've been having a lot of anxiety about the whole thing, but I've dismissed it as a natural feeling when you up and leave your job and start on some completely new track.

Christian and I went to get provisions for the trip this afternoon, which included some really great food coupled with some things I wouldn't normally buy in my right mind. There is a fair balance of healthy, filling sustenance and foods that are strictly for pleasure to keep morale high when its four in the morning and you've only had sporadic single hours of sleep. We leave at 6 am tomorrow; we being Christian, Maria and myself. Winchelsea is fueled up, her batteries charged, food stocked, and sails repaired. Here we go.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good luck! I've been following your blog with great interest and envy. Keep in mind that real anxiety come from not following your dreams...

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...