Haulout

Soveraine was hauled out on Monday afternoon. Things I was looking to accomplish: a bracket for the outboard I purchased, paint on the bottom and topsides, repair a through-hull in the head and take some play out of the rudder.

There was a delay in getting my boat hauled so I figured I would get the transmission ready to take out since I had been talking to a guy in Connecticut who said he could get me in touch with someone who could rebuild it. About half way into the removal I discovered that the shifter cable was loose. This was interesting, could it be the cause of the sudden "slipping" of the transmission? I threw everything back together, turned the engine over and discovered yes, it certainly was. I now have a fully functional inboard again, and just after I purchased a brand new outboard!

After she was out of the water, I scraped all the hard growth from the bottom which was in the amount of 5 gallons in volume, and roughly 10 lbs. A LOT of growth. I sanded the bottom and topsides over the next couple of days, got the through hull working again (after I was nearly about to cut it out with a grinder) and took the play out of the rudder. I'm now patiently waiting for the rain to pass so I can finish the bottom. Topsides will come tomorrow/Monday and I'll go back in Tuesday or Wednesday.





As far as the outboard, I'll keep it with me going south as a backup in case my inboard has other plans than functioning as it is supposed to.

I'm excited to her back in the water, I can't wait to see how she sails with a clean bottom and how great she'll look at 50 years old with new topside paint!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...