Winchelsea is dead. The dream is not.

Jon and I awoke this morning with the hope of continuing our journey south. Those plans were thwarted however, when I pulled the dipstick out to check the oil. I was horrified; the "oil" was white and of about the same consistency of butter left on the counter for an hour. Water had somehow made it's way into the engine. There are about a hundred ways for this to happen and they can range from a simple clog in the exhaust to a hole in the block of the engine itself.

Two oil changes later and a $90 valve on the exhaust, we weighed anchor and tried to motor out of Beaufort harbor. I put it into gear and pushed the throttle forward, nothing. I ran below to check that the carburetor was opening and the cable was intact, they were both fine. Back to the helm to try the throttle again...nothing. This was serious. The engine was starting to stall, and it just sounded sickly. I could tell not all 4 cylinders were firing. I called to Jon to throw the anchor back in.

Normally I would have dove right in to fix the problem, but this major engine issue is out of the scope of this trip. Basically what it comes down to is money, time and resources. I'm down to just about two grand left in the bank after new sails, dockage, gas, food, beer, belts, hose, etc, etc. I still need to get to Florida and I refuse to throw good money after bad. The engine needs to be totally rebuilt, or replaced with a newer one. I just simply can't afford to continue with Winchelsea.

I have given 110% of myself to this trip, and it really hurts to call it quits. We were fully prepared, handled every adverse situation that has been tossed in our faces, and, up until now, emerged victorious. And as you know, we've had our fair share of adverse situations.

So what now? As much as it breaks my heart, Winchelsea is for sale. The boat that got me started on this crazy trip, when I bought her last December and radically changed my life will soon belong to someone else. It's a damn shame though, her hull is in great shape, the rigging is stout, there's plenty of room below and she's paid for. It becomes a point of diminishing returns though, and she's got to go. I can only hope she changes the next owners life as much, and for the better, as she did mine.

As soon as she's sold, I'm heading to Fort Lauderdale. My personal reasons for going to West Palm are on the rocks, and the jobs to be had on boats in Lauderdale are much more promising and plentiful. I'll find a regular old terra firma apartment and work doing deliveries and at a marina/boatyard.

Jon is leaving soon, probably as soon as tomorrow. He's been a great help, and a great friend on this trip. He's also heading to Lauderdale, after going back to New England for his car, so I'm sure I haven't seen the last of him.

I have zero regrets about this whole thing. I've learned a ton and actually, considering I haven't had to pay rent in almost a year, they haven't been expensive lessons. It has been, and will continue to be, a great experience.

"This is an adventure." - Steve Zissou



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Beaufort, NC

Comments

Unknown said…
son of a bitch. same exact thing happened to me on my first try. I left Maine 3 years ago with the original "Bukh" raw water cooled diesel and only made it to L.I.S. before the dreaded white oil. 3 years later and a new motor and god only knows how many thousands of dollars later i've made it as far as S.C. Lesson learned? a reliable serviceable fresh water cooled diesel is the only way to go. Passin' thru chuck-town? look me up. Edward Bleakley. S.V. Frankie 843-250-5862
Green said…
Sorry to hear that Scott. Good luck.

On another note - anchor line and chain. Please.
Unknown said…
Bigger and better boats await!!!
George Boase said…
That's a shame. I know you're a little big for one, but did you consider hanging an outboard on the transom? I am curious though, how much are you asking for Winchelsea?

I've considered buying a boat without a running motor so I could convert to an electric drive. Not to be "green" but because I can't stand engine noise and the wife is sensitive to the smell.

Best luck in the future!

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...