Decisions, decisions

After getting over the initial shock of the engine completely failing, I realized I did have some other options besides to sell the boat straight away.

Option 1: Sell the boat. I could probably get between $3,000 and $4,000 for her, considering the engine is pretty much shot. This extra cash would definitely help in rebuilding my life down in Florida.

Option 2: Transport the boat to Florida on a truck. Not a viable option at $3,000. Thats like 6 months rent.

Option 3: Diesel repower. Not an option at this time at about $8,000. Just don't have the cash.

Option 4: Keep her up here. I could just leave her at anchor, talking with the locals leads me to believe this is a viable option. I'd definitely have to keep that liability insurance though. The only trouble would be trying to sell her remotely, or if I chose to keep her I'd have to still repower at some point, which would be $8,000 as noted above.

Option 5: Scrap. There is 4,700 lbs of lead in the keel. Lead goes for about $1.10 per lb right now, which is over $5,000. I really don't want to do this to her though. I'd gladly take half that to keep her intact and in the water under a new owner.

So, based on all these considerations, selling her is the best option. I'll spend the next week or so here in Beaufort trying to sell her. After that though, it may be the scrap yard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...