The voyage that changed it all, Part III

Since this will be the third and final part of this series, and although I could go on for just about ever about this trip, I should mention why this is "the voyage that changed it all." Before I got that fateful Facebook message, I was struggling hard with the job I have, my passion for sailing and all that is associated with the Ocean, and trying to connect it all together in a way I could put food in my mouth. The people I met opened my eyes to a field of work that was exactly was I was looking for.

I had to leave the When and If abruptly due to her being stuck in Charleston for what looked to be over 10 days. The weather around Cape Hatteras was less than favorable. I flew back to Boston, with a weepy eye and thoughts in my head that I would not return to her, and the wonderful people I had met, ever again. A week past, and during this time I applied to nearly half a dozen jobs within the realm of getting me on a boat. From the lowliest bilge rat position on a motor boat in the harbor to, what I'm hoping to get, a position on another 80' schooner in Newport, I just wanted out of the desk job monotony. It all culminated today with a phone interview when I was given a position for the summer and, in the same hour, Seychelles called me and asked if I could please join them on the When and If again. I told her to give me an hour. I marched straight down to my supervisors office and told him that I quit. Plain and simple.

So here we go....off again to join the When and If on her way up to Newport; the job I signed up to do and must finish. I have no desk job waiting for me up north this time, though. I won't have any stable income, just what little I've saved. The roller coaster car has been pulled up to the peak of the track, and the view from up here is fantastic. The air is fresh, and I can see for miles with eyes of hope and wonder. I can only hope that I've laid out enough track on my way down to outlast the initial rush of the first great descent...  It will all work out though,...the way it always does :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
oh mr. scott keddy you never cease to amaze me.
Bill said…
Congratulations! Bold actions get bold rewards, good luck on your new voyage.
S/V When And If said…
Dude, sorry for the delay...again.
Congrats on the job in Newport!! When do you start?
Christina Tobin said…
Go Scotty Go!

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...