The cost of a dream

Not that owning a sailboat is particularly cheap, but it's really not as hugely expensive as most people are led to believe. I had been looking at sailboats for quite some time before I bought Winchelsea, and most were out of my price range. However, given the dismal economy and the end of summer 2009, prices hit the deck (pun totally intended). People did not want to pay for winter storage, and there were many going for much less than Winchelsea, some under $1,000. Most were not in the greatest of shape though, and had been neglected or had some hull damage, and were generally more trouble than they were worth. 


Winchelsea was advertised on craigslist for $7,200. After driving down to Rhode Island to see her, mulling it over for a day or two, we agreed on $5,500. I just got my tax return back, and claimed Winchelsea as my first home purchase so I got an extra $550 to bring the total cost to $4,950. I bought a new battery for $90, gas was about $80 and I paid Steve $300 to help me sail her up. 


Docking her for the winter was actually cheaper than the rent I was paying. The cost for the dock is $70 per foot for the whole season, which runs from November 1 through the end of April, six months, and the owner of the marina discounted it to the day I arrived. That comes out to $396 per month, not including electricity (which I actually have yet to see a bill for, fingers crossed). For the summer though that jumps to $170 per foot which is $963 per month, way too much money. I found a mooring for $77 per foot, and I'll only be on it for 5 months, until the middle of September when I sail south for good. I actually found a place to anchor for free up on the other side of the airport, but it was a real pain to get to, loud and just not as nice. I know I'll have to make sacrifices like that when I don't have a lot of money, but for my last summer in Boston, a mooring downtown is a good investment. 


Outside of all that, there really hasn't been a lot of other expenses. Insurance is $269 for the entire year (liability only) and I need to get her surveyed for $400. To haul her out, paint her bottom and refinish her topsides its going to be about $1,000 including all the paint. I'm planing on mid April, I should on only have to do that ever 2-3 seasons. I've had to repair a few things here and there, but nothing huge (again, fingers crossed, knock on wood).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...