Running water!




Yes, what others take for granted on dry land is something I have to work at, typically. Labors of love though, I swear. 

Anywho, I filled the tank up with water today. The water tank is about 50 gallons. It is filled via a hose that hooks up to a line that is actually submerged under the dock to keep it from freezing. You can see that it is under the settee berth and the filling hole is forward. It is connected to a pressure pump under the sink, as seen in the second picture. Also in the second picture is the drain for the sink, more on troubles with that later.

The previous owner had installed a new fiberglass cover and cleaned it out just before I took ownership of it. It smells clean, so I decided to go ahead and fill it. I brought the hose aboard and turned on the valve, piece of cake. I then left the end of hose just an inch below the hole so that when it was nearly full I could tell by the absence of a splashing sound. I then turned on the pressure pump and started to see the faucet in action, pretty great! 

This is where a little trouble started. The water was not draining from the sink, and the faucet on/off handle was not working. I turned off the pressure pump and the flow decreased a lot. I tried the old air horn on the drain trick to push some air through but to no avail. I knew I had to get under the sink and tackle this manually. I started at the bottom, removed the hose clamp near the sea cock. When I took it off, sea water started flowing in and nothing came out of the red hose still connected to the sink. I tried to stick a pen up the hose but that wasn't working either. I removed the hose clamp from the top and the water in the sink came down with full force. Not to worry though, it goes right to the bilge, and it wasn't that much. It was right about this time that I forgot to pay attention to the filling hose when I heard gurgling, looked to my right and saw water coming up through the filling hole. I quickly grabbed it, pinched it off and took it outside. I cleaned the drain hose, put it all back together and presto, running water! Oh, and I figured out how to turn the water off too :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Scott,

This is Sebastian,Karen's friend.
I think what you are doing is just fantastic.Only a few people have the guts of really doing what they want in life. Isn't Davy Crockett who said, 'make sure it feels right and go for it!' I'd like to catch up with you later this fall once the racing season will be over. Or Steve McQueen 'Sailing (racing)is life everything else is just waiting!'Anyway here's my two cents form a 40 years old man!

Take care.
Christina Tobin said…
Simplicity is key.
Sally Rose said…
You are such a MAN!

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...