Clearly, I am not alone.

My friend Kate found this gem in the Boston Globe online this morning, its about liveaboards in Boston! The photo (which is actually a video if you click on it) is of Jarrett, he lives 4 spots down from me!




The video has inspired me to do my own video tour of the Winchelsea, so look for that pretty soon. Saturday looks sunny, so look for it around then.


As far as my commentary on the article, I think it catches a good angle as far as living on a sailboat, and specifically, in Boston Harbor in the middle of winter. It's not always easy, but most of the time its pretty fun, and there is always something to do. I don't have shrink wrap on my boat (and given the small amount of snow here, knock on wood, I think I made the right decision), but it is far from a derelict. 

“The people who live on boats share a sense of adventure and get to live on the water, where they love to be,’’ said Linda Ridihalgh, editor of Living Aboard
This is one quote I could not agree with more. It sums up why I chose to do this in a sentence. 


And then the 70 year-old who has resided in the same marina I live in for the past 35 years with his wife, who recently passed:
Lewis, whose boat lacks running hot water. “I do this because it’s really a nice existence.’’
I would say that confirms it, 35 years (and 35 winters, mind you) and he still loves it.


And at the end of the article:
“But this is a good life. We could live this way forever.’’
I think I can too. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for writing this, and thanks for writing on Boston Liveaboards.

I also found the article to be far less terrible than the masses on the liveaboards group made it out to be.

I'm glad you saw the good that was in the article.

Keith is a good friend of mine and while I think they certainly took some things he said out of context, he did nothing wrong and I'm really bummed that he's getting the verbal abuse that he is on the liveaboards group. He's a great guy and loves living aboard and the community shunning is remind me of past events in history (can we say Salem Witch Trials)?

Ok, so maybe I'm being INCREDIBLY dramatic...but so are all these people.

Anyway, I just wanted to personally thank you for posting on the liveaboards forum.

We have a blog too - check it out.

http://aboardmadrigal.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
I just finished your blog...I look forward to your video and more of your journey.....john

http://cruisingwetpaint.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...