Again, a routine...

When everything aboard is frozen solid, it takes a little getting used to. It is always dark by the time I return to the Winchelsea after work, which means the temperature has dropped and there is usually a stiff wind. It has not broken 32 degrees in almost a week here, even during the day, and it looks like that will continue until at least mid next week.

I try to spend as little time on board as possible, and occupy myself in the evenings by either hitting the gym, sitting in the Starbucks in the Marriott Long Wharf lobby with my laptop for a few hours, or going to a local dive bar to watch a game, have some conversation, and slug a few cheap pints. I spend an evening on board every once in awhile, and I keep myself occupied with learning the different systems of the boat. I know this will be useful when it finally warms up.

In order to cook on the Winchelsea I have to rip open one of the frozen water bottles I have in the galley, chip away a few large chunks of ice and throw them into the tea kettle. Just after it has melted, I can rehydrate the TVP, and I usually use some vinegar (which is still liquid) to add some flavor. I use the remaining water for coffee or tea to have with dinner. Any vegetables I want I have to buy fresh on my way home from work, usually a potato, an onion and a vegetable of color. While the TVP is rehydrating, I turn on the other burner with my small cast-iron skillet on top and put the small bottle of olive oil I have on its side in the pan. The oil is completely solid, but after a few minutes I can get a few drops out, enough to cook the vegetables with. I then add the TVP, some spices and dinner is served!

It sounds like a miserable time and more trouble than its worth, but it is really not all that bad. I keep the boat clean, it is well lit, and I have a stereo to keep me entertained. I also love learning about all the different systems on the Winchelsea (i.e. navigation, electrical, water, wastewater, fuel, etc), I enjoy this much more than plopping down in front of a television in an apartment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...