Boats and Women

I recently, as in last night, watched a documentary called Mansome. More or less it questions the present state, in our uber-modern society, of what makes a man, a man. It made me ask myself, as I near 3 decades of life on Earth, what kind of man-mold do I fit it into? When I graduated college and moved to Boston, I loved the idea of clean pressed solid colored shirts, with a color complimenting striped neck tie, shiny (but not too shiny) shoes stepping gracefully onto the T and starting up a conversation with the lady standing next to me; maybe something about how I recognized her for wearing a fragrance from Channel.

Things changed though, once I got there and started living out that vision of what I thought I, or myself as a man, should be doing. Fast forward a few years and I'm a pretty scruffy guy with oil stains on his clothes, holes in his sweaters, and a slight musk of diesel and general "boat" scent. Does this make me less of a man? More so? I'm able to do a lot more with my hands now, and have the confidence to tackle any project on my floating home that needs attention. I think a man should have the look of what he spends his days actually doing, not to try and project an air of in genuine vanity.  I've lost my polished edge however, and I feel this doesn't please some of the ladies. But, I consider it to be to my benefit I don't require things like a big truck (or even a car), guns, fancy clothes, or a trophy piece of ass to bolster my self confidence, simply because those things are way beyond my budget.

If anyone really wants to know what I'm looking for in a woman, they don't need to look any further than how I'm outfitting my boat. The fiberglass hull, lack of complex instruments, plumbing or electrical systems, a two cylinder diesel, transom hung rudder with tiller; it all leads to sturdy simplicity. And with such simplicity lies freedom. Soveraine is not a large, complex yacht that requires maintenance the second you arrive in a new port. Once the anchor is resting securely on the bottom, we are free to go out and explore and do as we please, without being stuck like a slave to an endless list to things to be fixed and worked on. Things that I, personally, deem superfluous. No high-end docking for Soveraine, with amenities to the hilt. Her and I will be quite happy at a humble, if bumpy, anchorage. The adventure being the people we meet, their local flare, sharing adventures, and keeping in touch to meet again at another lumpy, charismatic anchorage. She also has great lines. She can look presentable in a heartbeat and stellar with a few minutes notice. Not your phony, dolled up stellar either. A genuine knockout that only needs some half decent canvas sail covers to turn heads.

So, gentlemen, what kind of yacht do you require?

Comments

Sally said…
Single White Man Seeking Sturdy Simplicity.
sgkuhner said…
Scott, you have your values correct; and on top of that, you have the perfect boat for your desired adventures. Kitty and I bought a 30 ft Seawind Ketch in 1970 and spent 4 years sailing it around the world from 1971 to 1975. We had no electronics, not even a depth sounder. (we used a lead line). We navigated with a sextant and our charts were often made many years earlier. We never entered a port at night (we would heave to until morning). As a result we had the adventure of life that indeed changed our lives forever. We are still happily married after 44 years.
In 2003-2005 we did an Atlantic Circle and when we got to St Maarten we went to a bar and the guy sitting next to me said he was single-handing and complained that his wife would come down when he got to a new port and stay in a hotel. I then told him about our sailing adventures and that my wife, Kitty, was the one who insisted we do a second circumnavigation in 1987 - 1991. He then said to me, "I will give you three million dollars for your wife!" I looked at him and replied, "OK then I would be rich; but miserable like you...No Thanks!"
You have your values straight!! Now all you need is to find another woman like Kitty, and I have no doubt you will.

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...