Weatherly and Soveraine, my two ladies of Newport

After I managed to get Soveraine to Newport, I needed to find a job for the remainder of the season. I applied to be a launch driver for the New York Yacht Club at Harbor Court (which you have to say with your teeth clenched to get the full effect), but the pay was lousy, I wouldn't be sailing and not allowed to accept tips! A friend who worked on another 12 meter told me a spot had just opened up on Weatherly, whos claim to fame is winning the 1962 America's Cup. I sent in my resume and within two days was sailing with them and offered a full time position for the remainder of the season. Somehow, I always manage to land on my feet. Either through tenacity, a positive attitude, sheer dumb luck, or most likely a combination of the three, it works out.

Weatherly was designed by Phillip Rhodes, who also designed the Rhodes 19 which was the boat I learned to sail on in Boston Harbor. It was the only 12 meter to win the America's Cup designed by him (the rest by Sparkman and Stephens, also based in Newport). She's gorgeous under sail; sailing on the schooners I've always admired the 12 meters, their lines and grace in the water. They develop a large. pronounced trough that extends the length of the water line on the windward side when they reach hull speed, which is something that has to be seen to appreciate fully.

We do private charters mainly, 5 days per week, with two special racing charters coming up in the next two weeks. On Thursday we leave for Martha's Vineyard for a 12 meter regatta and the following weekend we are in Nantucket for the Opera House Cup (and, incidentally, Sumurun will be at Opera House).

When I return however, the real work begins. I'll have a fatter bank account by then and Soveraine needs some love if I have any prayer of heading south this winter. In addition to getting the engine in total working order (which should happen before I leave) the bowsprit needs to be replaced, running lights rewired, lifelines redone, some rigging modifications, installation of a holding tank and piping, and a haul out to check the pintles and gudegons (the top one is loose) and slap some bottom paint on. That's just the essentials. I'd also like to get some cushions for the saloon, turn my v-berth mattress into a custom fitted one, get some cabin painting done, install the wind turbine and some solar panels.

Oh, and in addition to that I need to formally rename her. I think that event will happen sometime between the 22nd of August and September 1st. If you're around I'd love to have you as my guest!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...