Racing in the islands

I spent the past two weekends racing Weatherly in Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. It was really my first introduction to racing at that level, and what an introduction it was. We had a lot of wind in the Vineyard and managed to break two halyards and sheared a 1/2" diameter steel bolt that was holding the boom vang to the mast. I was in the bow, which was tough, wet work, with multiple headsail changes, flying and packing the spinnaker and a ton of coordination between it all. Upshots were that I learned a ton, attended some pretty high-brow dinners and parties and had a raucous time getting to know my fellow sailors on the other 12 meters.

Here are some photos, in the first one, I'm the one on Weatherly (US 17, the one leading) hanging over the side in the red jacket. In the second, again in the red jacket tending some winches. There are a ton more pictures on the website, check them out!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...