"She'll cross an ocean if you will..."

The title of this post was the original sales slogan for the Allied Seawind 30, which Soveraine is one of. She is a 1963 model, hull number 42, I think. What I do know for certain is that a 1962 hull, the first year they were built, did a circumnavigation. He didn't know it at the time but Alan Eddy was to become the first person to sail around the globe in a fiberglass boat. When he returned he wrote a short book on his experience that the Allied company used as promotional material. It can be found online here.

Another fascinating circumnavigation was done in an Allied Seawind 30 in 1971 by Scott Kuhner and his new wife Kitty. They kept a great photo journal and their son was kind enough to upload the entire collection to the internet (click the link on "the entire collection")! It is all very well done, and although it may take awhile I would highly recommend going through all the pictures. It's a great story and I've already got my head spinning with different ways to rig this boat.

In short, I made the right decision. She needs work, but it's mainly cosmetic after I get the engine issues sorted out (which they nearly are). This boat has a proven track record of being extremely sea worthy and it has nearly the exact specifications I wanted in a boat. I truly can't wait to get her out on the open ocean and see what she (and I) are truly made of.

Comments

Anonymous said…
its been 10 days.....MOAR!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...