The maiden voyage of Soveraine

The journey started with a quote, as we all piled into the Metro in Newport, bound for Watch Hill, "your souls had better belong to Jesus boys, because your asses are mine." Not sure where I had heard that before, but I figured it was appropriate given that I apparently have a reputation for wild adventures on the high (and in this case not so high) seas.

Dan and Seabass (Captain Seabass) had agreed to share in this adventure since they both had off the following day. It took about an hour to get down there, and since it was were Seabass grew up we stopped into a place where he knew the owner and had some $1 tacos and margaritas when we got there. I attempted to put on a collared shirt, but was promptly told that this was not that kind of place. Nine tacos and eight margaritas later we piled back into the Metro for a couple of miles to the boatyard.

5:15 am came early the next day. Sunrise was at 5:30 and we were puttering along at 5:45. I had the dinghy hip-tied to the boat amidships and the little 3.5 horsepower "outboard that could" pushed the 6 ton vessel along at about 2 knots, with only 1/3 of the throttle. Within an hour we were out of the channel and another hour after that we passed Watch Hill lighthouse that marks the reef. Trouble was, there was still no wind. The dinghy stayed hip-tied and we kept on towards Point Judith. At one point Dan decided to go swimming.






We finished off the two beers left on board from the previous night with lunch and quickly realized that we had under provisioned for this trip. Discussing options such as pulling up to a beach, dropping the hook and taking the dinghy ashore, or pulling into Point Judith, it was decided the most logical plan would be to hail a passing boat for some emergency supplies. A 26' cat boat passed us not too long after and I was elected to untie the dinghy and motor over. The captain graciously gave us two each and we chatted about sail configurations awhile before I made my way back to my thirsty crew.





Finally, at about 2:30, the sea breeze kicked in and gave us a nice southwesterly to allow us to raise all sail, reach past Point Judith and run into Narragansett Bay. We dropped the hook at about 8 pm after one attempt failed due to a disgruntled cruiser claiming we had just dropped ours on top of his. Not wanting to argue (or have someone like that as my neighbor) we pulled it up and reset it further in.

I had quite the rush of emotion sailing my own small boat into Narragansett Bay and Newport again, after doing so with Winchelsea over two years prior. Despite all that has happened in 2012, both up here and in Florida, I feel calm, at peace and at home here; swinging on the end of a hook and chain, listening to the fog horns and being gently rocked to sleep in the small piece of this crazy world I can call my own. I don't think I can say for certain whether I saved this boat or if this boat saved me.


P.S. I've decided to name my boat Soveraine. More on that to follow!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The quote of your asses and Jesus etc.is an old motivational tool used by Marine Corps drill instructors.Todd M.

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...