Fall approaching, thoughts turn south

Like all good things, summer in Newport is coming to a close. We said goodbye to a fellow crew member bound for law school a few nights ago, and another is leaving to finish college in two days. There is a definite nip in the air, especially at night. Fall is approaching, there is no mistake about it. I plan to leave sometime during the second week of October. The tourism will significantly slow down by then, hurricane season will be nearly over, and the cold fronts will (hopefully) will not have moved in yet, bringing fierce winds with them.

My general plan is to head out of Narragansett Bay, hook a right and go west into Long Island Sound. Then its down through Hell Gate, the East River and out into the Atlantic. I'll probably stay outside of the ICW as I pass by New Jersey, duck in around Cape May, and sail up Delaware Bay and then down the Chesapeake. From there, I'll stay inside around Cape Hatteras (I'm bold, but not that bold) and stay mostly outside with a planned stop in Charleston. From there, I'll make a b-line for Jacksonville. I'll probably stay there for a few days, and if the timing is right, catch the Florida vs. Georgia football game. I'll then make my leisurely way down the coast of Florida, around the Keys and up to Sarasota, Winchelsea's home port that she's never seen before. I plan to stay within 25 miles of shore the entire time, which is the limit of my Tow Boat US membership. I'm also well insured, for liability and loss of the boat, so I really have nothing to lose. When its all said and done, I estimate it will take three to four weeks. I've been saving money for the trip, but it shouldn't cost a whole lot actually.

More updates soon, as I make some final preparations for the boat and firm up the route by talking with people and reading the plethora of information out there about sailing down the east coast. Stay tuned...

Comments

Ginger McManahanasulivan said…
sir! will you be stopping by west palm beach for a few days to visit your favorite crew member of the m/y chorizo?

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...