Settling in, getting a routine

Over the past few weeks, I've really started to adjust to living on the Winchelsea. I've grown accustom to the squeaks, moans and groans of living on a boat in the water (and the ferry from Salem blowing its horn at 6:40 AM each weekday as it pulls into the wharf adjacent to mine).

Maria figured out how to use the propane stove that is installed on the boat, so no more camping stove! I've also recently bought a pressure cooker (saves a lot of propane, so they say) and am starting to cook more meals on board. I am switching to a more vegetarian diet, especially when cooking on the Winchelsea because 1) cooking meat smells more, 2) meat costs more, and 3) meat is less available when out at sea (trying to simulate actual cruising conditions). The one exception I will make to this is fish for obvious reasons, plus its my favorite food.

In place of meat, I have been introduced to textured vegetable protein (TVP) which is a soy product containing protein
"equal to that of the meat it is replacing, and contains no fat."
I have a few sources of recipes I will use on the boat, one of them here from a fellow cruiser and another from the book How to Sail Around the World by Hal Roth.

I will keep you updated as to the recipes I deem worthy of my digestion and post them on here.

Comments

Roberta said…
I have a great recipe for vegan sloppy joes made with TVP. Let me know ifyou want it. It really is good!!

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...