A ring and some cash for a sailboat...the voyage begins

Sumurun and I have parted ways. I won't get into the details publicly, but if you ask me in person I'll give you an earful. Unfortunately, the schooners are full for crew for the summer, leaving me up the creek as far as employment. Looks like it's day work for a bit until I can find something more regular.

As always, I'm constantly looking at craigslist, yacht world and sailboat listings just to see what's out there and what boats are going for. I have been using the good old boats list as a reference as to what my ideal boat would be. I had been looking at a Tartan 27 a friend owns, but decided it was just a bit too small for my needs. I wanted something in the 30' area, definitely no larger than 32', with a full keel and, if possible, a transom hung rudder. Then I saw her. An Allied Seawind (first generation, not the second) in Rhode Island, for $10,000 or best offer. I called the guy and he gave me the back story of sailing it with his kids when they were younger and now that they had grown, he no longer needed it. It has been neglected for the past few years, and when I drove down with Mr. Matt Hartke to take a look at it, it showed. It needs paint inside and out and most of the systems need to be removed, repaired or replaced. Most importantly, what it does have is a solid, thick fiberglass hull with a solid deck and rigging in great shape.  The engine runs, a solid 20 horsepower diesel, but the water pump needs to be rebuilt and the fuel tank needs to be cleaned out.

Long story short, I came back to Newport, thought about it for a few days and made him an offer that he gladly accepted. How much? $2,500 plus a white gold and sapphire ring.

It is exactly the boat I want and at that price I have enough left over to get her seaworthy. And long as I can find consistent work through the summer, I'll have no problems taking her south when the temperature begins to drop. Winchelsea rides again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...