Moving back east...

San Diego was fun for the summer, but a lack of work and being too far from friends and family is moving me back to the east coast. The southern California sailing community doesn't have the pedigree, reverence, depth or, to be flat honest, know-how and sailing knowledge that I was surrounded by back east, especially Newport. Not to say I didn't grow as a sailor out here; I did my first big blue water ocean crossing as well as my first experiences as a charter boat captain. The plan is to get outta dodge by mid August and either finish the season in Newport/New York or head down to Key West to catch the start of the winter season there. They have half a dozen schooners, another handful of catamarans and (gulp) some parasailing motor boats. I have no qualms driving a motor boat if all other options are exhausted and the price is right.

Jazz is now for sale. She's served me well, providing a place to live at about half the cost of renting in the same areas, and a few day sails on the side. I'm positive I'll be able to get what I paid for her, which was a steal, and maybe come out ahead.

So back east I go. I plan to stay put there for awhile, between Florida and the islands in the winter and the northeast in the summer. I came out here on routes I-10 and I-40, with Ed and Alaina, respectively. It looks like I'll head back by going north to San Francisco then get on I-80 which runs from the SF Bay area all the way to Philly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...