The Plan

I've done more thinking since my last post (a LOT more), and came to a conclusion as to what is really most important to me: getting another sailboat and to keep the journey going. I'll admit I didn't know much of anything about sailboats when I purchased Winchelsea, and I lucked out that she was very seaworthy and in great shape. However, she was far from my ideal boat. I'd like something a little smaller, in the 28' to 30' range with an outboard instead of a cramped inboard. Not only will that be ultra convienent if the engine decides to die (pull it off, put a newer one on) but the space saved below is significant.

Anywho, the only thing standing between me and getting a new boat is a bit of cold, hard cash. I'll definitely have to work a bit to save up enough for her, as well as some buffer money when I set sail again. I'm thinking something in the order of a year or so. With day work on boats being relatively scarce, I went to some businesses that specialize in charters and sailing lessons to see if they needed any help. They all said the same thing: get your captains license. I actually have enough sea time to get my Master, 25 ton license, not just the basic 6-pack. I can move up to the 100 ton with more experience on larger boats. It will serve a few purposes: being able to captain charter boats, both now and later on my own; it will add a touch of seriousness to my resume; and people will have to call me Captain Keddy. I'll be taking that course in January. After that, I'll do whatever job I can that pays the most and is still related to boats. Yes, even if that means whoring myself out for a year on a mega motor yacht. I think it will be worth it though, it is something to add to the sailing resume, to say that I've put my time in on those type of boats. Hey, maybe I'll even meet a great lady friend along the way who'd like to join me on the next leg of the sailing adventure.

So there it is. I want to purchase another boat, but have to find a way to get money to do so in the process, without going back to a desk job. I'd love to keep travelling as well, which remaining in this industry should allow me to do. It took me a week or so since I've been in Fort Lauderdale of wracking my brain as to what my next steps were going to be, but it is a huge relief to have a blueprint to go by.

Comments

Bill said…
At least you will be near the water and working if you make it on a private motor yacht. I hear lots of those boats have an arsenal of watersport toys (jet skis, kayaks, even hobie cats) that the crew get to play with.

Did you get enough time from working in Newport over the summer for your 25 ton license?

How about crewing on another tall ship daysail boat? I just saw the Lynx up in St. Augustine, it is a replica 1812 Privateer Schooner, sharp looking boat. They will be sailing up there through February at least.
Green said…
You might want to think about something in the 30 - 32' range with a newer diesel. That size is big enough to have that second person aboard, a good one will go where you want to go, the draught can be kept under 6', and you can handle it easily by yourself.
There are a lot of good things about diesels - they don't burn much fuel, diesel ain't explosive, the prop won't jump out of the water in a chop, nobody can dinghy up and make off with it, and they are very reliable. Hell, mine has 10,000 miles and a trip around the world on it. Maybe something like this:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1971/Islander-Mk-Ii-Wayfarer-Sloop-1875251/Mazatlan/Mexico
For 10K or less you can get an updated older boat...
Best - Green//

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...