Florida

I had originally planned on taking a train down to Orlando. There was just something that didn't feel right about planes, not on this trip anyway. I didn't much care that it was going to take me 20 something hours to get there by train, either. I'd have time to read and stuff, and just think. But, the way it worked out with my brothers schedule, the train was a poor option and I flew instead.

When I got to the airport, I plopped myself down by the gate and took out The Catcher in the Rye. I had only brought two books with me, that one and Nine Stories, I guess I knew I'd be in a Salinger kind of mood. I've had this same copy since my mother gave it to me when I was like 12. It's pretty beat up and the original cover price was $0.95, to give you an idea of the age. I think she used to teach with it because some places are highlighted and underlined. This book has followed me everywhere: from high school to college to Boston and then to Winchelsea. I've only read it one other time though, around when I was 14. It's one of my favorite books. Anyway, I started reading it at the gate in North Carolina and I didn't even look up from it until I had finished as we touched down in Orlando. Think of it as distracting a baby with a stuffed giraffe while you give him a shot in the arm.

I've been here two days now and it is wonderful. It's so comforting to see my brother, his wife and old friends again, and to know I'll be staying in the state for awhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great strength of feets: removing the old diesel

We Hate Shoes

aaand we're back...